Visitor FAQs – social distancing and safety precautions
Following the latest announcement, all of Sussex will now be in Tier 4 of UK government restrictions in relation to COVID-19, from 26 December 2020.
This means Towner will be closed until further notice. We will be back in touch as soon as we can with further updates on when we will be back open.
Don’t forget that that our online shop is still open, and we will be keeping in touch via our digital channels.
Keep an eye on our social media platforms for insights into our Collection, films, blogs and more.
Thank you for your all your support during these difficult times and wishing everyone well.
What can I see at Towner when we re-open?
Art, Life and Us: Christine Binnie, Jennifer Binnie and the Towner Collection. In this Towner Collection exhibition, curated and featuring work by artists Christine and Jennifer Binnie, guides the visitor through a journey reflecting on and embracing our place in this changing world, exploring themes of nature, the body, meaning and the cycles of life.
Towner International is a new biennial exhibition of contemporary art that will take place for the first time at Towner Eastbourne from 6 October 2020 to 11 April 2021. The exhibition features 24 artists living and making locally in Sussex, Kent and Hampshire, as well as those working and exhibiting nationally and internationally.
The Ravilious Gallery will also be open with its exhibition of works by Eric Ravilious. At present, there is no access to the books in the Collection Library, which shares the same space.
Lothar Götz’s large-scale mural, Dance Diagonal, spans the entire outside of the gallery and is available to enjoy 24 hours a day, every day.
Will there be toilets available?
Our toilets will be open with enhanced cleaning and reduced capacity. Our taps and soap dispensers are touch-free. Please wash hands thoroughly as per guidelines.
What measures will I need to take when on-site and what will Towner be doing to keep me safe?
Robust Covid-19 safety measures will be in place and all visitors will need to adhere to Tier Two restrictions, which does not allow for mixing with other households in any indoor setting.
Here are some of the precautions that we are taking to ensure the safety of our visitors and team members:
- Visitors are required by government guidelines to wear masks to enter the gallery.
- All visitors into the building will be asked to use the hand sanitisation station on entry to the building and further sanitisation points will be available throughout the building.
- We are legally required to collect contact details for all visitors into the gallery. This can be done using the QR code for the NHS test and Trace App or directly to a staff member at the entrance.
- Hygiene screens have been installed at the Welcome Desk and at the café counter
- We are not currently accepting cash payments, so please be prepared to pay by card in our shop and takeaway café. Contactless payments are preferred where possible.
- To allow social distancing, we will be limiting the number of visitors allowed into each exhibition space, as well as into the building itself. You may be asked to wait for short periods during busy times. You may wish to consider visiting at start and end of days when the gallery will likely be quieter.
- Throughout your visit, please maintain a safe distance from other visitors and staff and refrain from touching surfaces. Floor markings will be in place to support this.
- Enhanced cleaning will be in place throughout the building.
- Staff will be on hand throughout your visit to ensure you have a safe and enjoyable visit.
Will the Towner Café be open?
Our bright and spacious café is open and our new lunch menu will be available.
Will the Towner Cinema be open?
Our full Cinema programme is on pause at the moment but we do hope to schedule in a sprinkle of seasonal screenings over the festive period.
· We have reduced capacity in the cinema and will operating at 40% of normal occupancy to ensure ample space for social distancing.
· Seats will be assigned by Towner staff to ensure social distancing is maintained.
· Masks are mandatory and should be worn for the duration of screenings (unless visitor is exempt).
· Food and drink will not be allowed into the cinema space.
· We are accepting card payments only.
· The cinema, including seating and toilets, will be cleaned after every screening.
· Films have been scheduled to avoid congestion in foyers between two screenings.
· Hand sanitisers will be available as you enter the gallery, again as you enter the cinema and also outside the cinema toilets.
· There is a screen at the Welcome Desk to protect staff and visitors.
· We will collect customer details to support NHS Test & Trace.
Will the Collection Library be open?
To minimise risk of transmission through touch our Library is currently not open for browsing.