Volunteers play a vital role at Towner, proactively engaging with our visitors as well as helping us maintain a safe and secure environment within the gallery spaces.
Although we welcome applications all year round, we generally interview and recruit a new intake of volunteers about four times a year.
If you are interested in art, enjoy interacting with people, are keen to develop new skills or just want broaden your horizons then we would really love to hear from you.
As a volunteer you will:
- develop skills, build confidence and gain first-hand experience of an art gallery environment
- enjoy free entry to any paid exhibitions and a behind-the-scenes art store tour
- be invited to staff briefings at the start of each exhibition by the curator or artist
- meet like-minded people and have opportunities to attend social events
- enjoy 10% discount in the Towner shop and Urban Ground café
- receive training in transferable areas such as customer care, health and safety, disability awareness as well as specialised training in Towner’s art collection, exhibitions and architecture
- feel proud to be contributing to the cultural heart of your community and supporting the work of a vibrant charity.
At Towner we embrace diversity and welcome applicants from all backgrounds and all ages. Please let us know if you think you will need additional support to allow you to take up this opportunity as we may be able to help. Please note that volunteers must be aged 18 or over.
At interview we will be looking for people who have a real passion for delivering an excellent standard of customer service, have an interest in art and would be able to take control and remain calm in an emergency situation.
We would ask that you commit to a minimum of two shifts each month – these can be set dates or can be flexible. Shifts are either 2 or 3 hours long, between the hours of 10am and 5pm.
If you have any queries, please email firstname.lastname@example.org or call Niamh on 01323 434679.
To apply please fill in the Application Form and Equal Opportunities form and return to us by email, post or in person.
Learning volunteer team:
Towner’s learning team is putting together a group of volunteers to assist in the delivery of the gallery’s busy and dynamic learning programme and so will be primarily event based.
The Learning Volunteer will be on hand to support Towner’s learning team and the artists with whom we work. The Learning Volunteer’s duties will include, but are not limited to:
- Greeting and welcoming visitors
- Asking participants to fill out our sign in surveys (when applicable)
- Helping to prepare the space for workshops and activities
- Assisting in resetting spaces after workshops
- Be proactive in assisting participants (where appropriate)
- Other ad hoc duties when appropriate
A Learning volunteer would have an interest in gallery education, and an enthusiasm for arts and culture. They will be able to work as part of a team, be organised and good with people. It would be beneficial for volunteers to have an understanding of health and safety guidelines and safeguarding procedures and a commitment to equal opportunities and diversity.
To apply please fill in the Application Form and Equal Ops form and return to us by email, post or in person.