Portrait of a Lady on Fire
Due to screen before we had to close, our Missed Connections series features films we felt deserved an outing on the big screen.
Romance and art entwine in Portrait of a Lady on Fire, a sumptuous new masterpiece from Céline Sciamma (Tomboy, Girlhood). The film is a heartbreaking period piece told with a distinctly modern feminist energy.
Set in late 18th Century France, painter Marianne (Noémie Merlant) is commissioned by an affluent countess to paint the wedding portrait of her sheltered but headstrong daughter Héloïse (Adèle Haenel, 120 BPM) in the hope it will find her a wealthy husband.
While posing as her hired companion, Marianne is instructed to complete the portrait in secret, observing Héloïse by day and painting her by night. However, as the two women grow closer, their intimacy and attraction begins to blossom, paving the way for a simmering, star-crossed romance.
Towner Cinema Safety Procedures
· We have reduced capacity in the cinema and will operating at 40% of normal occupancy to ensure ample space for social distancing.
· Seats will be assigned by Towner staff to ensure social distancing is maintained.
· Masks are mandatory and should be worn for the duration of screenings (unless visitor is exempt).
· Food and drink will not be allowed into the cinema space.
· We are accepting card payments only.
· The cinema, including seating and toilets, will be cleaned after every screening.
· Films have been scheduled to avoid congestion in foyers between two screenings.
· Hand sanitisers will be available as you enter the gallery, again as you enter the cinema and also outside the cinema toilets.
· There is a screen at the Welcome Desk to protect staff and visitors.
· We will collect customer details to support NHS Test & Trace.