England’s Creative Coast artists announced
Posted on 11/07/2019
Just announced – seven site-specific artworks for England’s Creative Coast
In 2020, England’s Creative Coast is launching seven new site-specific artworks by leading contemporary artists – Andreas Angelidakis, Mariana Castillo Deball, Holly Hendry, Jasleen Kaur, Katrina Palmer, Pilar Quinteros and Michael Rakowitz – and the world’s first art Geotour, for you to discover along the Kent, Essex, East Sussex coastline.
The Waterfronts series of artworks and Geotour will be set in the beautiful and dramatic coastal landscape, which has inspired artists for centuries, in seven locations: Margate, Folkestone, Hastings, Bexhill-on-Sea, Eastbourne, Gravesend and Southend-on-Sea. Launching in spring 2020, the temporary works will open sequentially over the summer and be on display until late autumn.
Towner Eastbourne is partnering with Turner Contemporary, Cement Fields, Creative Folkestone, De La Warr Pavilion, Hastings Contemporary and Metal to create this new cultural adventure.
The commissioned artists are:
- Mariana Castillo Deball, working with Towner in Eastbourne
- Michael Rakowitz, working with Turner Contemporary for Margate
- Holly Hendry, working with De La Warr Pavilion at Bexhill-on-Sea
- Andreas Angelidakis, working with Hastings Contemporary
- Pilar Quinteros, working with Creative Folkestone as part of Folkestone Triennial 2020
- Jasleen Kaur, working with Cement Fields in Gravesend
- Katrina Palmer, working with Metal in Southend-on-Sea
England’s Creative Coast encompasses a whole cultural travel experience. Through the world’s first art Geotour, you will be able to game as you move through the landscape, discovering the commissioned artworks, collecting geocaching rewards and hidden gems along the way. To plan your trip to see these time-limited artworks you can curate your own journey using the England’s Creative Coast itinerary website and find further cultural adventures across Essex and West Sussex.