Volunteering at Towner
Volunteers play a vital role at Towner, proactively engaging with our visitors as well as helping us maintain a safe and secure environment within the gallery spaces.
Although we welcome applications all year round we generally interview and recruit a new intake of volunteers about four times a year.
If you are interested in art, enjoy interacting with people, are keen to develop new skills or just want broaden your horizons then we would really love to hear from you.
As a volunteer you will:
- develop skills, build confidence and gain first-hand experience of an art gallery environment
- enjoy free entry to any paid exhibitions and a behind-the-scenes art store tour
- be invited to staff briefings at the start of each exhibition by the curator or artist
- meet like-minded people and have opportunities to attend social events
- enjoy 10% discount in the Towner shop and Urban Ground café
- receive training in transferable areas such as customer care, health and safety, disability awareness as well as specialised training in Towner’s art collection, exhibitions and architecture
- feel proud to be contributing to the cultural heart of your community and supporting the work of a vibrant charity.
What we look for:
At Towner we embrace diversity and welcome applicants from all backgrounds and all ages. Please let us know if you think you will need additional support to allow you to take up this opportunity as we may be able to help. Please note that volunteers must be aged 18 or over.
At interview we will be looking for people who have a real passion for delivering an excellent standard of customer service, have an interest in art and would be able to take control and remain calm in an emergency situation.
We would ask that you commit to a minimum of two shifts each month – these can be set dates or can be flexible. Shifts are either 2 or 3 hours long, between the hours of 10am and 5pm (6pm in summer months)
How do I apply?
To find out more about volunteering please read the role description below. Send any specific queries to firstname.lastname@example.org or call Niamh on 01323 434679.
To apply please fill in the Application Form and Equal Ops form and return to us by email, post or in person.
This PDF can also be completed electronically.
Volunteers required – visitor feedback surveys
We are looking for a number of volunteers to assist with gathering data on the experiences of visitors to Towner and our exhibitions. The data is being compiled as part of a scheme by the Contemporary Visual Arts Network aimed at sharing information on visual arts audiences across the country. The scheme will allow organisations to deliver better tailored programmes of events and exhibitions to their local areas, deepening and widening engagement with the arts.
We need a team of volunteers to conduct face to face surveys with members of the public who have visited the exhibitions. The visitor is asked to respond to questions relating to the exhibition (content and presentation) and also their experience of Towner’s promotion.
If you are somebody who is interested in helping art better reach the public, with great communication skills, and a willingness to learn about Towner and its current exhibitions, we’d really like to hear from you.
If you are interested, please contact email@example.com or call 01323 434679. We ask that volunteers be willing to undertake a minimum of 4 days over a 5 week period, from early February to late March 2016.